Monthly Archives: January 2009

Pattern Sale!

So I bopped down to JoAnn’s the other day and picked up a few Vogue patterns. Five, to be precise — that’s at least two more than I’ve ever picked up at once before. I’m dreamin’, big time! The one … Continue reading

Posted in Fun | Leave a comment

Vogue 8536 – It’s a Wadder!

Oh, dear. Knits and I are just not getting along. Today’s failure is this top from Vogue Basic Design: I made view D (the vee-neck), with the 3/4ths sleeve length from view B. In theory, this shirt is almost exactly … Continue reading

Posted in Tops | 3 Comments

Easiest Dummy Stand Ever

When I made my duct tape dressmaker dummy, I built a stand for it from PVC pipe: The pipe is four inches in diameter, and the foot it’s standing on is a toilet flange. (Not elegant, true, but efficacious.) The … Continue reading

Posted in Tools | 4 Comments

Shapes Plus One Tunic

I’ve been looking for styles with easy shapes, ones that I can make from linen, and tops that will be cool and comfortable for summer. I’d been thinking about the Shapes Plus One Tunic (from Sewing Workshop) for a while, … Continue reading

Posted in Tops | 2 Comments

Pattern Weights

Dawn, of Two On, Two Off, mentioned After the Dress in her post today, where there is an interesting post about pattern weights. My weights are the crudest, simplest ones available: Yep, just giant washers from my local hardware store. … Continue reading

Posted in Tools | 7 Comments

Vogue 7862 – Brocade Bag

One of the gifts I received this holiday season was this beautiful brocade fabric, which Mr. Noile’s mother Trilby and I had spied earlier in the year at a favorite shop. Trilby snuck back later and bought a piece for … Continue reading

Posted in Bags | 4 Comments

Transferable Pockets for a Bag

Five or six years ago, I made a strip of pockets and used it all the time in my work totes. The idea was to have all my stuff (phone, Palm Pilot, Moleskine, business cards, etc.) in one place for … Continue reading

Posted in Accessories | Leave a comment

Storage Bag for an Inflatable Bed

Project three of the new year was a really simple one. An inflatable bed needed a storage sack so that it didn’t get punctured while being hauled around. I used a double faced quilt and made this ungainly thing. It’s … Continue reading

Posted in Bags | Leave a comment

Grab Loops on a Window Shade

The second task of the new year was this somewhat peculiar project. Our laundry room has a window above the washer and dryer, but I’m just too short to reach the shade that covers it. The shade itself is ugly, … Continue reading

Posted in Home | Leave a comment

The New Year, In a Small Way

The family has gone, and the house reassembled, so, obviously, it’s time to start sewing again! Several things were left unfinished after a mad final quarter in 2008 when I was frantically filing and organizing the house. On Friday, I … Continue reading

Posted in Home | Leave a comment